Chunky cowl split on arm - free knit pattern

Since I learned to knit and crochet well  I like to give hand-made gifts. My aunt Basia said she likes the gray cowl I made earlier (you can see the pattern here: http://2mayaswonderland.blogspot.com/2014/02/simple-cowl-free-crochet-pattern.html). I wanted to make her something special since as a cancer survivor she went through a lot and is still struggling with side effects of lymph nodes and breast removal.
I found a pattern for a cowl that splits in the middle to keep and arm warm. "Perfect" - I thought. "She can put it over the arm that gets infections all the time".
I used Lion Brand Yarns, Homespun Thick & Quick in granite.
Pattern:
While holding two strands of yarn together:
             1) Cast on 40 sts.
             2) (RS) *K1, P1, repeat * to end.
3) (WS) *P1, K1, repeat * to end.
4) Repeat steps ‘2 to 3’ x two more time.
5) (RS) *K1, P1, repeat *to end.
6) Repeat step ‘5’ until piece measures 20 inches from beginning edge, ending with a WS.
7) (RS) *K1, P1, repeat * to end.
8) (WS) *P1, K1, repeat * to end.
9) Repeat steps ‘7 to 8’ x two more time.
10) Bind off all stitches.  Securely tie off last stitch.
11) With yarn needle and an 18” long yarn strand, fold piece in half and sew up the short ends of the knitted piece from the middle to one edge.










Comments